At the Old Brick Guesthouse we want to ensure that
our impact on the environment is kept to a minimum, especially as
we are lucky enough
to live in South Shropshire in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
We are therefore delighted to announce that in our inspection in
May 2010 we were awarded SILVER level by the Green Tourism
Helping us achieve SILVER we:
• recycle as much of our waste as possible. Glass, cardboard, paper, tin,
aluminium and drink cartons go to the local recycling centre
• send all biodegradeable waste from kitchen and garden (cardboard, food
scraps, hedge and grass cuttings) go to the biodigester.
• donate discarded furniture, bedding, pillows, computer equipment and
other household items to the South Shropshire Furniture Scheme for
• closely monitor our energy usage. We can then take steps to reduce,
such as low energy light-bulbs and A-rated kitchen appliances, and
check on our effectiveness as well as investigate issues.
• try to encourage local wildlife through bird feeders and nest boxes.
• encourage walking and biking by providing information to our guests.
purchase responsibly using "Fair Trade" products, environmentally
safe products (ECOVER cleaners, Eco balls for laundry, toilet rolls
made from recycled paper, bio-degradable bin bags) and use local
suppliers as much as possible.
In the Future we will continue to:
• Be better at marketing ourselves as a Green business and therefore encourage
more people to think about the environment when booking a holiday.
• Make more information available to guests about local wildlife and more
environmentally friendly activities.
• removal of ancient, inefficient, oil-guzzling
• installation of solar thermal heating for hot water.
• installation of secondary glazing to most windows.
• replacement of some windows with double glazed windows.
• installation of thermostatic controls to all radiators in guest
• installation of low flow shower heads to all showers.
of Ecoflap draught excluding letter box to front door.
• installation of energy saving panels for all
radiators on external walls.
If we do our best to help protect
the environment then you can be safe in the knowledge that the impact
of your stay in this beautiful part
of the world is kept to a minimum.